As implants of computer chips to the brain becomes closer to reality should we genuinely be worried on how it will impact us? It make seem like a technological leap of faith to some, I agree it’s a step in the right direction however with all good things come bad. Everything can be manipulated or abused to a certain extent which is a worry when it comes to people behaviours. Let’s access some of the advantages and disadvantages of implantation of computer chips to the brain.
- Change the way people think, if somebody has negative traits such as anger issues this can be altered and make people behave in an acceptable manner allowing the person to be ‘fixed’.
- Give people with learning disabilities and mental handicaps the ability to be able to think for themselves and allow them to be unclassified from their disabilities.
- Make people more intelligent, using information from the internet and feeding it to the person brain, although this may seem unfair it could open up a new possibilities for innovations and learn things we had never knew before.
- Allow your brain to control elements in your life, control a video game with just your thoughts, type to people on Facebook by just thinking of the words.
- Allow paralysed people to move, using the implanted brain chip to talk to motorised limps to give them the ability of movement that would never be possible for them.
- Allow people to communicate in a new way by sending thoughts to each other, or reading what your thinking out to others (maybe in close proximity, great for creative meetings!).
- The process of the implantation would potentially be very dangerous, after all it is your brain and if something goes wrong it could lead to permanent damage and cause more problems than it solves.
- This practice could go against religious beliefs, go against the acceptance and society and could cause a lot of debate and controversy.
- Peoples views could be changed and decisions influenced against their own will, for example somebody’s sexual orientation could be changed if their parents dislike their preferences. This could lead to us going back in time with everything that influential people in the past have fought for and even died for.
- This could be used to force people into war and crime and for other acts that the law and society do not accept, this could cause a catastrophe if the technology is run out of control and gets into the wrong hands of people.
- Would we be even considered as a human race if everyone was given an implanted chip and could be programmed to do whatever when instructed to, we would be a human body in a robot’s mind.
- Would people have any privacy? Because this is a piece of hardware it could be snooped upon and even hacked and manipulated, there has been reports in the past of something as simple as a pace maker being hacked which could be manipulated and have control of that person’s life (this is said to have been fixed now)
Although some of the points and features may be far far away due to the lack of knowledge we have on how the brain works there are certainly some uses which we could see showing up sometime soon. If laws and regulations are put into place with the uses and when someone would be eligible of having a chip implanted this could be beneficial to the human race overall however like all laws not everyone will follow them. Let me know your thoughts on this advancement below in the comments!