Are smart fridges the fridges of the future? Who knows but they could be with the internet of things. Lets connect everything to the internet and see what innovations can be made and what problems can be solved or even made. Although smart fridges are not really a thing right now they could be! I quiet like the idea of having a smart fridge that can do numerous things some of which might be totally useless, however I think it’s mainly just for bragging rights and just the damn right coolness of what it is, the price tag might not be very nice though? Below I’ve decided to write-up a few ideas of what they could be used for, some may be pointless others may not be, however if Samsung are reading this or any other company I WANT ROYALTIES if you use my idea.
Concepts and crazy ideas:
- User accounts for everyone in your home with pass codes (Stop burglars and friends robbing food!).
- Facial recognition, the fridge can notice who you are and welcome you “Hello Miles, what can I do for you this evening?”
- Voice interaction, the fridge could speak to you and ask you how your day was, and hey why not have voice search as well to google recipes and stuff, add motivational speeches in to encourage you to eat healthy.
- Built in bluetooth with speakers, listen to music whilst browsing the fridge? Or maybe whilst cooking, this could not work if your fridge is far away from your kitchen (I wouldn’t know why though!)
- Touch screen with lots of options such as choosing diets and the food is ordered for the diet and the fridge monitors how well you are doing.
- Inventory control, scan your products as you buy them and always get updates to your smart phone on whats in stock and whats not.
- Order items as they run out from your set supermarket (Useful for the extremely busy or extremely lazy?)
- Motion sensors in the fridge, set the fridge to away mode so it knows nobody is home then if there’s an intruder the robotic voice of the fridge scares them to death.
- Connect it to Facebook and share your activity on your wall ‘Miles Cant just took a bottle of milk out his fridge, perhaps he’s having cereal or a tea?’
- Gather long-term statics and look back on them in shame with how much food you go through in a week, month and year.
- Date monitoring, monitor the expiry dates on everything in the fridge and notify you of whats going off soon and whats gone off (Could save you having a day of work because you ate something that’s gone off!)
- Use nutritional value recommendations on products and compare them to how much you consume and advise you that you’re going over the recommend limit (maybe do it using some weight system).
- Smart Fridges talk to other smart fridges and recommend popular products you don’t have (Yes food advertising in the comfort of your own home, great!, not).
- Restrictions on times to enter the fridge, stop your family members from eating late at night by locking the fridge at 10pm, or maybe lock it away from the kids that love going in the fridge and eating everything that has chocolate written on it.
- Sync your fridge data on a global database and compare your fridge contents with other in the city or country (Stupid idea right?).
- Temperature control, alter the temperature in the fridge based on the surrounding climate, this could also get more shelf life out of your stored products.
- Self cleaning, you empty the fridge and it fills it’s self with soapy water and cleans itself (amazing idea right?).
- Monitor bacteria growth, if its even possible?
- 24/7 live stream of the insides of your fridge, make sure you food doesn’t come alive whilst your asleep at night, how about a direct upload to YouTube button too!
- Reminders, remind you to have breakfast or take that pie over to your mums before you leave the house.
- A smart phone app where you can control everything, you could be coming home craving almond milk you check your phone app to see if you have it, if you don’t you pick it up on the way home.
These ideas may seem crazy, I just had fun writing this. Would you ever consider purchasing a smart fridge? Are the possibilities really endless? Are they even useful?